Thursday, July 7, 2011

hime speaks: Ikoku Irokoi Romantan


Alternative Titles: A Foreign Love Affair, Ikoku Irokoi Romantan - The Romantic Tale of a Foreign Love Affair
Mangaka: Yamane Ayano
Type : OVA (anime); 7-part manga
Status (both manga and anime): Finished
Producers (anime): Producers: ANIK, PrimeTime
Genres: Romance, Shounen Ai, Yaoi

Synopsis:
Japanese yakuza clan heir Ranmaru just got married on a lavish cruise ship, but things aren’t as they seem. The marriage is just for the appearances, and he ends up getting drunk and spending the night not with his bride but with the sexy ship captain. When the two men meet again in Italy, it is the start of a spectacular love story. -801 Media

My Take:
Before I start, I would just like to acknowledge the new background of Dangerous Minds. Thanks michi~!

It's been a long time since I've done a BL review for this blog. I wasn't exactly sure what to review on next and I figured I would continue on with the manga that I had planned on reviewing, but for some reason my eyes fell on this title when my eyes were wandering about my archives on my PC.

As you all know, I'm a very big fan of Yamane-sensei's works and this one isn't exactly my favorite. I've read this manga some time ago and I just recently finished watching the two-part anime. It doesn't really have a great story compared to my favorites, the Viewfinder series and Crimson Spell. What I do like about this series is that it has a great sense of humor, especially when you reach chapter seven.

Both anime and manga are magnificently drawn, but the manga's rough drawings seemed more appealing to me compared to the anime's polished one. I also prefer the manga a lot more than the anime since the anime left hilarious scenes from the manga.

Additionally, the anime only covers four (4) chapters of the manga (chapter 1 = OVA1; chapters 2-4 = OVA2). The rest of the chapters are oneshots still revolving around the main characters, but I guess they're too short and too insignificant to be turned into an anime. Chapter 7 is a bit different though and it's my favorite; the story circles at Al's mansion where Ranmaru gets to meet Al's (perverted) father. I don't know how, but the rest of the characters are located in one place as well.

All in all, this series isn't that great. And that's coming from a fan of the author. I really don't like the chemistry of the two main characters, and the story seems a bit cliched and a little shallow. The manga has a lot more *doki*doki* points compared to the anime though, so if you're interested in picking this short series up, I suggest you read the manga first before watching the two OVAs. It didn't really quite leave an impression on me, but fans still like this. ^^


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you so please do tell us what you think! ^_^ Unfortunately, comments will be moderated regularly so spam and rude comments will have to be removed.